Monday, September 15, 2008

connected, connected... protected, protected....

EGADS! I have that stupid Barbie friends commercial song stuck in my head... it's some movie about Barbie and her friend, and naturally they made dolls to buy along with the movie. They have singing heart necklaces or something to that effect. The song drives me MAD and yet always manages to get lodged in my skull.
Not cool. Not cool.

So anyway, it's Monday and I've had a very productive day. I worked for a long while on a commission I am doing for a wonderful gentlemen (and friend of mine). It is a piece set in space, so today I spent roughly 3 hours simply coloring the background... pure, flat black. Why did this take me so long, you ask? Because I'm working with colored pencils and it's really dang hard to color large spaces a flat color! But I took my time and I think I succeeded quite thoroughly. So now I just have to color the moon-ground, the stars/swirling galaxies that bisect the space background, the space cadet, and the alien babe and this commission is done! I am very excited for how it is turning out. I hope to finish it either tomorrow (if I work all day) or Wednesday (if I work half-days both days).

Yesterday was my second day of work and my first day in the cafe. Let me tell you, I LOVE working in the cafe! All of the people are super nice, I was busy all day so the time went by at a very pleasant pace...
I learned how to make coffee (regular), decaf coffee, hot tea, iced tea, and how to heat up various food items. I also bussed tables, served tiny scone samples, and practiced a bit on the register.
I still have a LOT to learn... I saw the other trainee steam milk but I didn't get a chance to try it, and I still need to learn how to make the crazy coffee drinks like lattes and whatnot. But I feel like I'm going at a good pace and probably within a month or so I'll be doing well. At least I hope so!

I work again on Wednesday and Thursday, and next week I have 31 hours! Wow! I feel like they mistakenly gave me all those hours because I am new, but I am excited and I do hope that they meant to, because I love going to work and if I really do have 31 hours next week then that is a great chance for me to learn so much more!

What else...
SO! Since I am now getting some pay checks I feel like it's a great time to get a new tattoo! The guy in charge of my training, Patrick, commented on my ink and said he wants to get one (as soon as he figures out what he wants)... which I think means having tattoos at B&N is okay. I have been wearing short sleeves lately so my manager must have noticed, but since she hasn't said anything, I think it's probably fine. So my new one will be another Pokemon, Milotic... who in the Pokemon universe is the most beautiful Pokemon, but it evolves from a really ugly one. Which I like. Also it says in the sticker book I have (I know, I'm a nerd) that Milotic can calm even the most violent tempers. So I am excited about her joining my tattoo family!
I'm also planning two more, which I will most likely get in January or February if I'm still making good money. Those will be a secret until closer to the time. I like sitting on tattoo ideas until I'm very very sure.

I just started readin "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, and it's very good! I also want to start reading a second book in a series by James Patterson...the Maximum Ride series. I usually don't read two books at one time but I have to have the receipt for my books if I bring them into the break room at work. Wuthering Heights is from the library so I can bring that one, but Maximum Ride has to stay home. So I figure it's as good a time as any to read two at once!

Well I am going to go do some knitting and then read!
Cheers!

No comments: