Friday, August 15, 2008

Hunt for Red Oct-job-er

So, the job adventure continues!

Yesterday before the interview mentioned in my last post, a will-remain-un-nameable food service place called me and asked me if I was still looking for part-time work. I said yes, of course. So after a short conversation with this (very nice) woman, she says "okay, come in tomorrow."
Me: "oh for an interview?"
Her: "no, you're hired."
Me: "oh...okay..."

My parents were extremely unhappy about the job (because of the walking-to-strange-houses delivery part of it, and myself being a well-endowed young girl), but I still thought pizza-delivery would be cool, and didn't think I'd have any real problems.
So I went to my other interview (with a really cool bookstore that will also remain un-named) and that went really well! So I ended up being in a mental bind. I told the interviewer about the first job offer and she said that the bookstore wouldn't officially hire me until September anyway, so I should just take the food-service job and go from there.

Ahem. Thus. Today rolls around and while I was in the bathroom I got a call from a different job, which entails me teaching art to babies... WAY cool! I am going to hopefully be interviewing with them soon.
But despite that I went in to the food place to get all...hired...and stuff. It seemed cool and I loved the managers, but I was having some doubts. It just seemed like not-quite-my-place. When I got home I called my dad and laid it all down for him, all the job details and everything. It's a delivery job, but the company doesn't cover gas (I would)... and my dad explained that my insurance does not cover me for "business purposes." Meaning that if I got into an accident on the job, I would not be covered and thus would have to foot the bill myself. Something I don't think tips would quite cover...

After talking to my boyfriend about it I decided that the odds were stacked against me in this situation. So I went over to the place and told the manager about the insurance issue (by far the biggest issue, since I would never in my life be able to afford any sort of body work not partially covered by some company). She seemed disappointed, but understood.

I feel really bad but I have to follow my instincts in this matter. Meh. But hopefully either the bookstore or the teaching place will want to hire me and it'll be okay.

Anyway, that is how I had a job for less than 24 hours!

No comments: